Fairtrade Banana Cake
Serves: 6 people
Ready in: 90-100 minutes
250g (8oz) organic white self-raising flour
1/4 of a Fairtrade nutmeg, ground (a challenge to find, but it does exist, honest!)
1 teaspoon Fairtrade cinnamon
125g (4 oz) butter
125g (4 oz) Fairtrade caster sugar
125g (4oz) margarine
Grated rind of an organic lemon
2 free range eggs
3 medium Fairtrade bananas, mashed with a fork (it is better if they are a bit old and squashy)
Handful of sultanas
6 heaped tablespoons Fairtrade set honey
1 whole firm Fairtrade banana (optional)
- Heat oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4.
- Sieve the flour, nutmeg and cinnamon into a bowl, and rub in the margarine. Using a wooden spoon, fold in the sugar, eggs, lemon rind, sultanas, mashed bananas and honey.
- Pour half of the mixture in the tin, drop in the whole firm banana and add the rest of the mixture.
- Bake for 1¼ to 1½ hours or until a skewer pushed into the cake comes out clean (avoid pushing into the whole banana!).
- Leave to cool in the tin for ten minutes before turning out onto a rack to cool. Slice, spread with organic butter, eat.