Based in a beautiful part of London, just two minutes walk from Hyde Park, and close to the V&A and the Natural History Museum, the Gloucester Road Oxfam shop is one of the busiest shops in London. Our aim is to fight poverty all around the world by raising as much money as possible by selling the items that are donated to us.
Ideally, you will be able to volunteer 2-3 days a week from 10am until 6pm. The internship will last a minimum of 3 months and a maximum of 6 months.
- Assisting the Manager in the daily running of the shop.
- Opening and closing of the shop.
- Assisting the Manager in the training and recruitment of new volunteers.
- Cash handling and administrative tasks.
- Understanding the work that Oxfam does as a charity and the importance of the Gift Aid Scheme.
- Sorting out and pricing donated items.
- Managing new products.
- Operating the till and giving new volunteers till training.
- Working as part of a team as well as independently.
Skills and competencies:
No previous experience is needed, so don't be afraid to apply because if you are successful, full training will be given.
Preferable skills include:
- Ability to plan your own workload.
- Comfortable with communicating by email and confident with Microsoft Office.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Reliable and responsible.
- Adaptable and flexible.
- Willingness to undertake training as and when required.
- Willingness to help other volunteers and share knowledge.
- Ability to motivate yourself and others.
What this role can offer the volunteer:
- You will be helping Oxfam in its mission to build a just world without poverty.
- Gain substantial experience in retail management.
- Train and operate as an Assistant Manager.
- Meet new people and make new friends.
- Employment references on the successful completion of Internship.
- Lunch costs and reasonable travel expenses can be reimbursed in line with Oxfam's policy.
5 Gloucester Road, London