Do you have the passion and drive to change lives?
Volunteer as an Oxfam Representative and become part of a movement of people who won't live with poverty. You'll share your love and enthusiasm for Oxfam by delivering talks and learning activities in your local community. From schools to churches, youth groups to Oxfam shops, the possibilities are endless! You'll be given fantastic training and have great support along the way. If you have the confidence to speak in public and want to inspire others to create lasting change then we
want to hear from you.
You must be able to fulfil at least 6 speaking events over one year and planning time.
As an Oxfam Representative you will visit schools, Oxfam shops, and adult / youth groups in your local area to deliver talks on the work of Oxfam. You may be asked to deliver interactive activities about:
- The work of Oxfam
- Climate Change
You will also:
- Assess how each talk has gone and always look for ways to improve
- Be invited to carry out talks and activities when requests are received in your area and communicate with Oxfam Representative Coordinator to accept or decline them
- Generate requests from schools and community groups in your local area
- Inspire people to join Oxfam's movement to end global poverty
- Inform schools and youth organisations about the fantastic support and resources offered by Oxfam
- Use your creative skills to adjust your talk to suit different types of audience
- Keep up to date with new resources and be contacted regularly by the coordinator of the scheme
You must be able to:
- Attend training
- Adhere to Oxfam's volunteering, safeguarding and child protection policy
- Comply with an enhanced DBS check (previously CRB) through Oxfam's preferred provider
- Travel within your local area - we will pay your expenses
- Evaluate and feedback on the success of talks and activities completed
Skills and competencies:
It is desirable that volunteers will possess some or all the following skills:
- Excellent communication skills and the confidence to speak in public
- Flexible and independent approach
- Commitment to Oxfam's aims and values and an interest in Oxfam's work
- Passion and enthusiasm about the promotion of Oxfam
- Experience of working with young people and community groups would be desirable
- Basic understanding of global issues
- Experience of using Powerpoint to deliver presentations
Due to the nature of this role which potentially involves contact with children, applicants must agree to an enhanced DBS check.
What this role can offer the volunteer:
- Be contributing towards Oxfam's goal of a building a just world without poverty
- A training course to introduce you to the knowledge, skills and techniques required (training dates to be confirmed)
- Practical materials, guidelines, and useful information
- Ongoing support from the Oxfam Representatives Coordinator and other staff members
- Be able to build skills, confidence and experience in effective communication and facilitation techniques working with various groups
- Have the opportunity to represent a leading development agency in its public engagement work
- Be able to claim expenses in line with Oxfam's Policy.
Oxfam Representative Coordinator
Supporter Relations Team
John Smith Drive
As soon as application and references have been approved.