Oxfam's network of over 650 shops is run by 23,000 volunteers and shop managers. Through the sale of donated goods and new products the shops contribute millions of pounds each year to help fund Oxfam's crucial work.
The clothing specialist role is an exciting opportunity for someone with a good knowledge and interest in clothing and fashion to work within a team to raise money for Oxfam's goal to end world poverty.
Many of our shops also sell through our on-line shop and therefore may have vacancies for volunteers keen to develop this area of work. If this interests you, do ask when you contact the shop manager.
Many of our volunteers offer at least one 4-hour shift each week however you can discuss your availability with the shop manager who will let you know where vacancies exist.
Every Oxfam Shop is different and therefore the specific roles will vary according to your interests and the needs of the shop. As a member of the clothing team however it is likely that you will do some or all of the following:
- Display items and replenish in line with shop standards
- Receiving donations, sorting, valuing, and pricing goods within our clothing department
- Identify and value fashionable and saleable goods from donated stock
- You may wish to take specific responsibility for a particular area - e.g. men's, women's, children's.
Skills and competencies:
You don't need specific skills or qualifications to volunteer in an Oxfam Shop. However, working as a member of the clothing team the following are desirable.
- An interest in fashion and retail
- Ability to work within the shop guidelines
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Good communication skills
What this role can offer the volunteer:
Oxfam Shop volunteers benefit in lots of ways. You will be joining over 23,000 volunteers to show "we won't live with poverty".
- You will be given all necessary training and support for this role.
- It is the opportunity to use your interest in books and reading in a very worthwhile way.
- You will gain retail experience; specifically in the area of book sales. In addition you will be able to develop a range of skills across the whole shop.
- Oxfam Shop volunteers can claim reasonable local travel expenses and lunch costs, in line with Oxfam's policy.
Find your local shop here. This will give you contact details for the shop so you can phone, write or call in to find out more.
Most of our shops are happy to accept applications to volunteer at any time. Just contact the shop manager to find out more.
The shop manager will contact you as soon as possible and will arrange a convenient time for you to visit the shop and have a chat about volunteering.
As soon as you have had an initial chat with the shop manager and after receipt of suitable references, you can arrange a start date.