Oxfam Shops receive wonderful donations of cds, DVDs and vinyl. Our teams of music volunteers aim to sell as much as they can so that we can continue to support Oxfam's work. The volunteers bring a wealth of knowledge and enthusiasm to the section, between them covering the wide range of music genres.
The enjoyment and challenge of this work comes from the fact that you never know what you will find next. We sell everything from basic cds to collectible vinyl. Our teams develop the skills to know how to make the most money possible from our donors' generosity.
Many of our shops also sell through our online-shop and therefore may have vacancies for volunteers keen to develop this area of work. If this interests you, do ask when you contact the shop manager.
Many of our volunteers offer at least one 4-hour shift each week however you can discuss your availability with the shop manager who will let you know when vacancies exist.
Every Oxfam Shop is different and therefore the specific roles will vary according to your interests and the needs of the shop. As a member of the music team however it is likely that you will do some or all of the following:
- Sort incoming donations of cds and/or vinyl, identifying items which are likely to sell and any that have a potential high value.
- Help to research the value of rare and/or collectible items.
- Use shop guidelines to price the items.
- Arrange the items in the shop, perhaps as part of an attractive window display or by creating special promotions.
- Review the stock regularly to provide a fresh selection for our customers.
- Depending on your interests and the shop's needs, there may be the opportunity to take responsibility for a specific type of music.
We encourage our shop volunteers to develop an understanding of all aspects of the shop's work so that they can support the whole team as necessary.
Skills and competencies:
You don't need specific skills or qualifications to volunteer in an Oxfam Shop. To work as a member of the music team however it is likely that you will:
- Be interested in a variety of forms of music and be keen to learn about new types.
- Be able to work as part of a team to ensure donations are processed methodically.
What this role can offer the volunteer:
Oxfam Shop volunteers benefit in lots of ways. You will be joining over 23,000 volunteers to show "we won't live with poverty".
- You will be given all necessary training and support for this role.
- It is the opportunity to use your interest in books and reading in a very worthwhile way.
- You will gain retail experience; specifically in the area of book sales. In addition you will be able to develop a range of skills across the whole shop.
- Oxfam Shop volunteers can claim reasonable local travel expenses and lunch costs, in line with Oxfam's policy.
Find your local shop here. This will give you contact details for the shop so you can phone, write or call in to find out more.
Most of our shops are happy to accept applications to volunteer at any time. Just contact the shop manager to find out more.
The shop manager will contact you as soon as possible and will arrange a convenient time for you to visit the shop and have a chat about volunteering.
As soon as you have had an initial chat with the shop manager and after receipt of suitable references, you can arrange a start date.