Oxfam was the first charity shop to sell its own line of Christmas cards. Since then we've expanded our range of new products to include organic foods, recycled gifts and Fair Trade items. Our new products are all ethically sourced. We have a strong commitment to new products and you will help to contribute towards our sales growth in this range. Whether you've a lot of retail experience or none, you'll receive the training and support you need.
Many of our volunteers offer at least one 4-hour shift each week however you can discuss your availability with the shop manager who will let you know when vacancies exist.
Every Oxfam Shop is different and therefore the specific roles will vary according to your interests and the needs of the shop. As a member of this team you will be involved in finding creative ways to promote the sale of new products.
Doing this might involve:
- Reading the weekly New Products bulletin which is full of advice and information.
- Creating attractive New Product displays and arranging special New Products promotions
- Carrying out stock checks as necessary.
- Ordering new stock
- Checking incoming stock
- Ensuring other members of the shop team know about the issues surrounding Oxfam's choice of New Products so they can talk in an informed way to customers.
We encourage our shop volunteers to develop an understanding of all aspects of the shop's work so that they can support the whole team as necessary.
Skills and competencies:
You don't need specific skills or qualifications to volunteer in an Oxfam Shop. For working as a member of the New Products Team however the following would be helpful:
- A methodical attention to detail.
- An interest in learning more about an important aspect of Oxfam's work.
- A flair for creative displays.
- Good communication skills.
What this role can offer the volunteer:
Oxfam Shop volunteers benefit in many ways. You will be joining over 23,000 volunteers to show "we won't live with poverty".
- You will be given all necessary training and support for this role.
- This is the opportunity to develop your interest Fair Trade while using your creative talents in display.
- You will have the opportunity to gain retail experience and, if you wish, to develop a range of skills across the whole shop.
- Oxfam Shop volunteers can claim reasonable local travel expenses and lunch costs, in line with Oxfam's policy.
Find your local shop here. This will give you contact details for the shop so you can phone, write or call in to find out more.
Most of our shops are happy to accept applications to volunteer at any time. Just contact the shop manager to find out more.
The shop manager will contact you as soon as possible and will arrange a convenient time for you to visit the shop and have a chat about volunteering.
As soon as you have had an initial chat with the shop manager and after receipt of suitable references, you can arrange a start date.