This is a great opportunity to volunteer in a vibrant Oxfam Bookshop. You will be joining with the Shop Manager and given relevant training as required to enable you to help run this shop. This is a great opportunity to gain managerial experience in a retail environment.
From three days a week. Days can be flexible, must include at least one week-end day (Saturday/ Sunday).
- To be trained to and operate as a Assistant/Deputy Manager, which will include helping to develop the business.
- To know and understand all aspects of an Oxfam Bookshop and of a retail environment.
- To understand the work Oxfam does as a charity and our fundraising activities at a shop level.
- To assist, support, communicate with and report to the Bookshop Manager.
- To open/ close and manage the shop on agreed days - to assist with cashing up procedures and reporting sales information, as required.
Skills and competencies:
- Enjoy working with books and/or music while in a bookshop environment.
- A willingness to learn.
- Reliability and commitment.
- In all aspects, a willingness to play a part in building and maintaining a strong and successful team.
- To communicate well with the Bookshop Manager and within the rest of the team.
What this role can offer the volunteer:
- Training to the level of an Assistant/Deputy Manager within Oxfam Trading.
- A good grounding in the elements of retailing and good business practices.
- A good understanding of bookselling and the secondhand book trade - which may include a field trip to develop your understanding of our business.
- A real opportunity to manage a team (depending on the applicant's skill base) and/or some aspects of our business.
Tel: 020 8347 6704
Oxfam Bookshop, 47 Highgate High Street, London N6 5JX