Very good like new condition with little to no wear. Internally clean and bright.
Since time immemorial, the 21 miles of road linking Preston and Lancaster has been busy thoroughfare. It was tramped by Roman soldiers, and doubtless the inhabitants of these islands before they came in the early years of Anno Domini. It has been used for centuries by those travelling to and from the North. Those travellers have seen the fine countryside the road passes through, and will have met villagers from Forton, Scorton, Garstang, Galgate, Barton and Bilsborrow.
It is not by accident that the decendants of this road, known since 1919 as 'the A6', follows its line so closely - the Lancaster Canal, the railway, and in recent times the M6 Motorway.
In the latter half of the 19th Century, journalist Anthony Hewitson ('Atticus') of the Lancaster and Preston newspapers) travelled the road on foor and horse-back, observing and chatting to the locals. He didn't restrict himself to the road itself - he went into the villages East and West of the main artery, many of them washed by the Wyre, recording the history of the villages and villagers. He wrote Northward, which he called Gleanings between Preston and Lancaster, after many years of such researching, and published it in 1900, by which time the road had seen many bicyclists but very few of the new motor cars. It remains a wonderful record of life in the Lancashire countryside alongside the highroad in Hewitson's day, and today's occupants of this area will better understand atheir presnt situation by reading their past.
Northward is one of the finest local history books ever written.