The year 1973 marks the centenary of the Protector Lamp and Lighting Company Ltd of Lansdowne Road, Monton, Eccles, near Manchester. The company was formed in May 1873 to acquire the business and patent rights of William Edward Teale, oil and lamp manufacturer, of 11 Mark Lane, Manchester. The Company’s Memorandum of Association mentions two patents which had been obtained by Mr Teale: one dated 15th November 1869 for ‘Improvements in Mining Lamps’ and the other dated 4th December 1872 for ‘Improvements in Guards for Gas Lights, and in an improved method of Lighting while under the protection of Guards.’ The promoters of the new company were Henry Newall of Littleborough, Lancashire, oil merchant, Samuel Armitage of Chaseley House, Pendleton, Manchester, cotton spinner, etc., and Charles Tattersall of 14 Marsden Street, Manchester, public accountant. Each subscribed to 165 shares in the Company which had a total capital of £26,040, divided into 3,720 shares of £7 each. Under a contract between himself and Mr Newall, on behalf of the infant company, Mr Teale agreed to become Manager for the term of 7 years at a minimum salary of £300 p.a., plus a share in the profits of the Company. He also relinquished to the Company patent rights in all of his future inventions.
This copy has some slightly scuffed corners and edges on it's covers, some bubbles along the front of the spine where the plastic laminate has raised and two sizeable creases on the back cover. Apart from one mark on the first blank page, the inside pages appear as new.