60 Years of Motoring in association with Montagu Motor Museum narrated by Raymond Baxter
Vinyl Condition: Great, almost mint M/M-
Sleeve: slight tear on the rear (see pic)
orig vinyl LP complete with illustrated booklet Argo NF2 1962
lovely package by Argo Record Company complete with 24 page fully illustrated booklet to match the cars heard in all their ear-splitting glory on the record cars in order of appearance are:
1hp Knight 6hp De Dion-Bouton 6hp Brushmobile 7hp Panhard-Lavassor 12hp Sunbeam 60hp Mercedes 20hp Lanchester 20/30hp Renault Rolls Royce Silver Ghost 12hp Fiat Tipo 51A 10hp Morgan Cycle Car 120hp Itala Racing Car 3litre Sunbeam Coupe de l'auto 350hp Sunbeam 25hp Vauxhall C type 18hp Bugatti 4 1/2 litre Bentley 20 hp Model Ford Lanchester 14 Austin 7 11.9 Morris Cowley Oldsmobile 21hp Alfa-Romeo 8c-2300-B 1 1/2 litre ERA 3.4 litre Jagaur 3 1/2 litre Bentley sports car 14hp MG Bull-nosed MG TD Sports Triumph TR3 1 1/2 litre V-16 BRM Chrysler 'New Yorker' Austin 7 mini Land Rover 2 1/2 litre BRM
3rpm vinyl lp record genre: spoken word/field recording with illustrated book notes: jacket and book have promo punch hole[an illustrated pamphlet to accompany a gramophone record of the sounds of cars. With the record.]the museum was founded in 1952 by edward douglas-scott-montagu, 3rd baron montagu of beaulieu, as a tribute to his father, who was one of the great pioneers of motoring in the united kingdom, being the first person to drive a motor car into the yard of the houses of parliament, and having introduced king edward vii (then the prince of wales) to motoring during the 1890s. At first the museum consisted of just five cars and a small collection of automobilia displayed in the front hall of lord montagu's ancestral home, palace house, but such was the popularity of this small display that the collection soon outgrew its home and was transferred to wooden sheds in the grounds of the house.
The reputation and popularity of the beaulieu collection continued to grow: during 1959 the museum's attendance figures reached 296,909. By 1964, annual attendance exceeded half a million and a decision was taken to create a purpose-built museum building in the grounds of the beaulieu estate. Design committee chaired by the distinguished polymath-artist sir hugh casson was created to drive the project, and the architect leonard manasseh was given the contract for the design of the building. By 1972, the collection exceeded 300 exhibits.