This is a superb recording of the arias from The St Matthew Passion, Johann Sebastian Bach's musical interpretation of the Chapters 26 & 27 of the Gospel of St Matthew, from the Bible. Johann composed his 1727 work for a number of solo singers, to be interspersed within two orchestra, and two groups of choral singers.
As well as using words from the book of St Matthew, there are a number of quotations, originally written by the poet Picander ... St Matthew Passion is often still cited as the greatest work, for chorus and orchestra, ever composed, and if you want to see a visual treat, watch the 2006 performance, at Amsterdam's Concertgebouw hall, conducted by Ivan Fischer, available on DVD.
Meanwhile, this superb early 60s recording, was conducted, by none other than Otto Klemperer, himself, in addition to the legendary soprano, Elisabeth Schwarzkopf, who performs on this album.
Side One : Arias from The St Matthew Passion , by J S Bach :-
1) No.10 - Aria : Buss und Reu
2) No.12 - Aria : Elute nur, du liebes Herz
3) No.19 - Aria : Ich will dir mein Herze schenken
4) a) No.33 - Duet : So ist mein Jesus nun gefangen ; b) Chorus : Sind Blitze, sind Donner
Side Two : Arias (continued ...) :-
1) No.47 - Aria : Erbarme dich, mein Gott
2) No.58 - Aria : Aus Liebe will mein Heiland sterben
3) No.61 - Aria : Konnen Tranen meiner Wangen
Records graded visually to RRPG grades (record/sleeve) EX-/EX-.