Two large musical boxes are presented on Side One of this record.
Here we have two instruments remarkable for their originality and their dimensions, both of them exceeding 4 feet in height, weiging around 66 and 110 lbs respectively, and operating with the aid of interchangeable discs. These discs, of perforated steel measuring up to nearly 3 feet in diameter, were manufactured in the 19th century. The two musical boxes, on Side One, are the German-made Polyphon Automatic Musical-box (sample, left photo three) ; and The Stella Musical-box.
The inner-sleeve notes goes into detail about the workings of these two machines.
Side One :-
Recordings of the Polyphon Automatic Musical Box :-
1) a) Romance b) Duet c) Waltz (Johann Strauss II)
2) a) Waltz : La Vague b) Bal Bourree c) Berceuse de Jocelyn
3) a) Valse de Pierreuses b) Valse Bleue c) Blue Danube (Johann Strauss II) d) Dolores
Recordings of the Stella Musical Box :-
4) Valse, Op.64/1 (Frederyk Chopin) 5) Soldiers' Chorus 6) Barber of Seville (excerpt - Rossini) 7) Polonaise 8) Shadow Song 9) Bridal Chorus (Wagner) 10) Prayer (Rossini) 11) Quartet (Verdi)
The barrel organ featured on Side Two, is The Limonaire Barrel Organ (sample, right photo three), made by the Limonaire brothers in Paris, c.1900.
Side Two :-
1) Airs enfantine 2) Les Saltimbanques 3) Overture : Si j'etais roi 4) La Fille de Madame Angot 5) Quadrille : Orpheus in the Underworld (Offenbach) 6) Patriotic airs
Records graded visually to RRPG grades (record/sleeve) EX/EX+.