Putting together a compilation of classical music and branding it with the Classic FM logo guarantees sales.
The Sound of Classic FM, a neatly-packaged three-CD set, comes hot on the heels of such top-selling compilations as Relax and Hall of Fame 2000, and the more recent Relax More.
The tracklisting reads like a typical Classic FM schedule--in with such staples as Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance March No.1, Rossini's William Tell Overture, the final movement of Mozart's Horn Concerto No.4 and, that old chestnut, "Nessun Dorma!".
There are a few less well-known pieces which have been added to the station's playlist, such as the divine slow movement from Spohr's Clarinet Concerto No.1, "Judex" from Gounod's Mars et Vita and Parry's rousing choral piece I Was Glad.
The enclosed booklet contains brief notes on each of the 28 pieces but with no performer credits although the box itself boasts such names as Nigel Kennedy, Yehudi Menuhin, Lesley Garrett and José Carreras.
So, if you're a fan of Classic FM and want to hear more than three hours of music from the last three centuries or so--without the adverts--then this is for you.
1. The Marriage of Figaro - Overture - Mozart
2. Violin Concerto in D Major (3rd Movement) - Beethoven
3. Granada - Albeniz
4. Concerto for Violin and Oboe in D Minor (2nd Movement) - JS Bach
5. Piano Concerto No. 2 in C Minor (3rd Movement) - Rachmaninov
6. Clarinet Concerto No. 2 in C Minor -(2nd Movement) - Spohr
7. Nulla in Mundo Pax Sincera - Vivaldi
8. Violin Concerto in D (3rd Movement) - Brahms
9. Schon Rosmarin - Kreisler
10. Pomp & Circumstance March No. 1 - Elgar
1. The Montagues and Capulets from Romeo and Juliet - Prokofiev
2. Water Music Suite No. 1 in F (1st Movement) - Handel
3. William Tell - Overture - Rossini
4. Piano Quintet in A 'Trout' (4th movement) - Schurbert
5. 'Nessun Dorma!' from Turandot - Puccini
6. Scheherazade (The Festival at Baghdad) - Rimsky-Korsakov
7. Judex from Mars et Vita - Gounod
8. Symphony No. 9 in E minor (2nd Movement) - Dvorak
9. String Quartet No. 2 - 3(rd Movement) - Mozart
1. 1812 Overture - Tchaikovsky
2. 'I Was Glad' - Parry
3. Four Seasons Concerto No. 1 'Spring' (1st Movement) - Vivaldi
4. Concerto for Flute and Harp (3rd Movement) - Mozart
5. Gnossienne No. 1 - Satie
6. The Hebrides Overture 'Fingla's Cave' - Mendelssohn
7. Summer Night On The River - Delius
8. Vltava (The Nmoldau) from Ma Vlast (My Country) - Smetana