This is a very specific map showing 'the country around Whitchurch', in Hampshire in 1906, specifically including the railways.
Edward Stanford rose to prominence during the height of the Victorian age a period defined by technological innovation, social upheaval, literary excellence and world exploration. Born into a family of tailors and drapers in 1827, he attended the City of London School and afterwards in 1848 was employed by Trelawney Saunders, a seller of maps and charts in a stationer’s shop at 6 Charing Cross where just four years later, in 1852, he was made a partner in the business. In the 1880's Stanford's became the sole agents for Ordnance Survey Maps in England and Wales. Edward Stanford (junior) who had taken over the company on his father's retirement, received his royal warrant as Cartographer to the Queen, in 1893. As the Victorian Era gave way to the Edwardian, with the ascension on Edward VII to the throne in 1902, Stanford maintained his Royal role as the Cartographer to the King which seemed to confirm the business’s role in popular and cartographic culture. The company is still in business, in Long Acre, Covent Garden.
The map, printed on paper on a strong linen backing, folds neatly into a red slipcase made of strong card with a red fabric coating. A decorative label rather darkened, and somewhat foxed) adorns the front, and the slipcase has generous U-shaped cutouts at the top for ease of extraction. The front and back of the folded map are decorated with 'marbled' paper and a piece of the red fabric to match the U-shaped holes in the slipcase. A (much cleaner) duplicate of the label is affixed to the front. When unfolded, few signs of wear can be seen - the linen is undamaged (though minimally foxed in places), and the map itself is clear, readable, and appears relatively unused.