A programme from The John Betjeman Centenary Gala, 10th September 2006, including an insert of performers in The John Betjeman Variety Show performance, a letter about security measures due to the presence of TRHs the Prince of Wales & the Duchess of Cornwall, and two tickets.
The programme is A4-sized, printed on card, and 32pp. The cover and assorted advertisements inside are printed in full colour but the programme itself is all in elegant black and white.
The contents include:
- letters about the gala from HRH Prince of Wales, the CEO of SANE (the beneficiary charity of the gala), the Chairman of Shell UK Ltd (the sponsors of the gala), & the show's producers
- a description of the SANE charity
- 'The Crazy Gang' poem, by John Betjeman
- 'Variety Artists by John Betjeman', from his foreword to Mander & Mitchinson's 'British Music Hall', 1962
- 'A Betjeman Anthology', ed. Hugh Whitemore
- four letters from John Betjeman
- 'Barry Humphries on JB'
- 'Coronation Street and JB', by Tony Warren, creator of 'Coronation Street'
- a selection of short tributes from other celebrities
- many printed photographs
The programme is in excellent condition, as are the accompanying inserts and tickets. There are some faint smudges on the back cover, but otherwise the programme is clean and almost as new.