How to make a terrifying cushion for Halloween
Cassiefairy Oxfam Fashion blogger
20th Oct 2017
Bring a touch of Halloween fun into every room of the house this October by adding some custom-made soft furnishings. This project will help you to turn a t-shirt with a spooky design into a throw pillow to make your sofa look spooky or your bedroom more bonkers.
Pick up a tee at a charity shop or, if your little ones have outgrown last year's Halloween costume, you could recycle the fabric. This ghoulish cushion will bring a touch of scariness to your autumn décor or can be used to create a gothic look in your home all year round.
You will need: A t-shirt with spooky design, scissors, matching thread, needle or sewing machine, pins, cushion pad.
- Iron the t-shirt flat and lay your cushion pad on top of the design.
- Use the edges of the cushion pad as a guide to cut up one side of the t-shirt.
- Fold the t-shirt in half down the centre and then cut along the other side in line with the first cut.
- Unfold and use the cushion pad to determine the top line of the fabric and trim across
- Fold in half width-wise and trim across the bottom - this piece will be the front of your cushion
- Create an 'envelope' opening for the back of the cushion by using fabric from the back of the t-shirt.
- Use the hemmed bottom edge as the top envelope flap and cut a piece that's half he width of the front piece.
- Use the rest of the fabric to cut a piece that's 2/3rds of the front piece.
- Layer the fabric pieces with the design facing up, then the smaller hemmed piece (with hem across the centre of the design), with the 2/3rds piece on top.
- Pin around all the edges then straight-stitch around the edges with matching thread. You could use a sewing machine or hand-stitch the three layers together.
- Turn the cushion cover right-side out and stuff with the cushion pad.
You can make a few cushions in a variety of colours and designs to create a soft-yet-scary corner on your sofa, or throw one onto your guest bed to scare visitors when they come to stay over Halloween!
Have a go and share your creations with us @OxfamFashion #foundinoxfam
You might also like:
Get new post sent straight to your inbox through Bloglovin'