Oxfam runs a network of over 650 shops which raise millions of pounds each year to fund Oxfam's vital work. Our till operators are essential to the success of the shop. They are often the main point of contact for our customers, not only taking payment but also accepting donation of goods, answering questions about Oxfam's work and keeping an eye on the shop floor.
If you enjoy meeting people and are happy to learn new skills, this role could be for you.
Many of our volunteers offer at least one 4-hour shift each week however you can discuss your availability with the shop manager who will let you know when vacancies exist.
Every Oxfam Shop is different and therefore the specific roles will vary according to your interests and the needs of the shop. As a till operator however it is likely that you will be involved in some or all of the following:
- Provide a friendly welcome to customers as they enter the shop.
- Serve customers, using the electronic till.
- Receive donations from the public and ensure they are stored safely.
- Promote Gift Aid.
- Be the first point of contact for answering general enquiries about Oxfam's work and volunteering.
- When not serving customers you will keep a general eye on the shop floor, ensuring safety of customers and stock.
- In some shops, experienced till operators take responsibility for cashing up and other banking procedures.
We encourage our shop volunteers to develop an understanding of all aspects of the shop's work so that they can support the whole team as necessary.
Skills and competencies:
You don't need specific skills or qualifications to volunteer in an Oxfam Shop. As this is a role involving the handling of money, you will of course be totally trustworthy.
In addition it is likely that you will:
- Be friendly and welcoming to our customers.
- Be able to learn the new skills related to operating an electronic till.
- Be interested in learning about Oxfam's work so that you can answer straightforward questions from members of the public
- Be able to work well with other members of the team.
What this role can offer the volunteer:
Oxfam shop volunteers benefit in lots of ways. You will be joining over 23,000 volunteers to show "we won't live with poverty".
- You will be given all necessary training and support for this role.
- You will gain valuable retail experience in a responsible role.
- You will learn more about the exciting work that Oxfam does across the world.
- Oxfam Shop volunteers can claim reasonable local travel expenses and lunch costs, in line with Oxfam's policy.
Find your local shop here. This will give you contact details for the shop so you can phone, write or call in to find out more.
Most of our shops are happy to accept applications to volunteer at any time. Just contact the shop manager to find out more.
The shop manager will contact you as soon as possible and will arrange a convenient time for you to visit the shop and have a chat about volunteering.
As soon as you have had an initial chat with the shop manager and after receipt of suitable references, you can arrange a start date.