Do you have the passion and drive to change lives?
Volunteer as an Oxfam Representative and become part of a movement of people who won't live with poverty. You'll share your love and enthusiasm for Oxfam by delivering talks and learning activities in your local community. From schools to churches, youth groups to Oxfam shops, the possibilities are endless! You'll be given fantastic training and have great support along the way. If you have the confidence to speak in public and want to inspire others to create lasting change then we want to hear from you.
As an Oxfam Representative you will visit schools, Oxfam shops, and adult / youth groups in your local area to deliver talks on the work of Oxfam. You may be asked to deliver interactive activities about:
- The work of Oxfam
- Climate Change
- Women's rights
- Refugee rights
You will also:
- Assess how each talk has gone and always look for ways to improve
- Be invited to carry out talks and activities when requests are received in your area and communicate with Oxfam Representative Coordinator to accept or decline them
- Generate requests from schools and community groups in your local area using the support and guidance from Oxfam
- Inspire people to join Oxfam's movement to end global poverty
- Inform schools and youth organisations about the fantastic support and resources offered by Oxfam
- Use your creative skills to adjust your talk to suit different types of audience
- Keep up to date with new resources and be contacted regularly by the schemes coordinator
You must be able to:
- Attend training
- Adhere to Oxfam's volunteering, safeguarding and child protection policy
- Comply with an enhanced DBS check (previously CRB) through Oxfam's preferred provider
- Travel within your local area - we will cover your expenses
- Evaluate and feedback on the success of talks and activities completed
- Ideally you will be able to deliver a minimum of 6 talks per year
Skills and competencies:
It is desirable that volunteers will possess some or all the following skills:
Due to the nature of this role which potentially involves contact with children, applicants must agree to an enhanced DBS check.
- Excellent communication skills and the confidence to speak in public
- Flexible and independent approach
- Commitment to Oxfam's aims and values and an interest in Oxfam's work
- Passion and enthusiasm about the promotion of Oxfam
- Experience of working with young people and community groups would be desirable but not essential
- Basic understanding of global issues
- Experience of using PowerPoint to deliver presentations
What this role can offer the volunteer:
Oxfam will support the volunteers with:
- A comprehensive training course to introduce you to the knowledge, skills and techniques required to deliver inspirational talks
- Practical materials, guidelines, and useful information to help you deepen your understanding of Oxfam and the issues your workshops will cover
- Ongoing support from the Oxfam Representatives Coordinator and other staff members
- Be contributing towards Oxfam's goal of a building a just world without poverty
- Be able to build skills, confidence and experience in effective communication and facilitation techniques working with various groups
- Have the opportunity to represent a leading development agency in its public engagement work
- Have the cost of your travel reimbursed
Oxfam Representatives Coordinator
John Smith Drive
Due to the coronavirus outbreak, we have taken the decision to suspend volunteer recruitment temporarily. Thank you to all our volunteers and volunteer applicants during this very difficult time.
To apply for this role please click here https://actions.oxfam.org/great-britain/oxreps/apply-now/
Applications will be processed as they are received and you will then be notified of the training date.
Interviews are telephone based and will be ongoing. Following an initial telephone interview, short listed candidates will be invited to a training day. Final selection of volunteers will be made after the training.
As soon as possible after training.