The Church of St Philip and Jacob: Its History and Antiquities Collected from the Church Books and Other Sources
Rev M E Thorold, MA (comp)
G Owen Wiltshire & Co Ltd, Bristol, 1933. Revised and enlarged.
Soft-bound booklet; 120 x 180 mm; 65 pages plus unpaginated index and advertisements. No dust jacket. Illustrations in monochrome.
The booklet is in fair condition. The covers and page ends are tanned. The covers are a little grubby and worn, and the spine in particular has suffered closed tears at top and bottom. Internally the staples hold the booklet together but have rusted and marked the areas of the leaves at the front and back of the booklet. Although the back cover and spine have come away from the body of the booklet, they are still held by, and remain attached to the front cover. Sidelining and underlining in ink on various pages.
St Philip and St Jacob refers to itself as the Bristol’s “oldest place of Christian worship”. The church began as a small priory around AD 900. It was later rebuilt. All that now remains of the original church is the font, although parts the chancel and tower date from at least the 13th century. The building was extended during the Middle Ages to include the present-day nave, the pillars of which are actually Victorian additions. The booklet by the Rev Thorold, who was the church’s vicar from 1909, contains a wealth of detail about the church and its history including the people connected to it.
Threatened with closure at various times, in the early 1960s the church managed to avoid becoming a potato factory due to the vision and determination of its then-small congregation, who adopted both the motto “Seek First” (from Matthew Chapter 6, verse 33) and, uniquely, the name “Pip 'n' Jay”.
The booklet is likely to appeal to those with an interest in this particular church or church history in general. The contemporary advertisements from the 1930s included in the booklet may also be of interest.