The History and Antiquities of Glamorgan and its Families
First published in 1874 by Longmans, Green & Co, London; reprinted in 1970 for Stewart Williams, Barry.
Hardback; 180 x 260 mm; green boards with titles in gold on spine, and a pictorial device (the seal of Richard de Clare, Earl of Glamorgan, etc AD 1229) in gold on front cover; viii & 194 pages. Original unclipped dust jacket. Forty wood-engravings, mainly topographical, and a map of the county.
The book is in good condition. The binding is sound. The dust jacket is protected by a transparent cover. There is some bumping of the jacket, and some tanning internally. Page ends tanned and slightly foxed. The contents are otherwise clean and unmarked.
The book contains chapters on geology and mineralogy; the Roman, Saxon, and Norman periods; antiquities, industry, and condition of society; old and extinct families; the manors of Glamorgan in the 17th century; Sheriffs and Undersheriffs of Glamorgan 1541-1872; Parliamentary Annals of Glamorgan from 1542; the Lords Lieutenant of Glamorgan 1660-1872; Bishops of Llandaff from the Conquest to 1872; the Magistracy of the County and Boroughs of Glamorgan 1872; Portreeves and Mayors of Swansea 1600-1872; the County families of Glamorgan, etc. The detail recorded is exceptional.
“Since its first appearance in 1874 this valuable work has been recognised as an excellent source book and, indeed, much of its contents has still not been superseded.”