Belsay, Northumberland, has been described as the northern jewel in the crown of English Heritage to whose care it was entrusted in 1980. For 800 years there have been Middletons at Belsay, living first in the Norman castle, a Border stronghold, later in the Jacobean house and, finally, in the Grecian mansion of golden sandstone designed and built by Sir Charles Monck from stone quarried on the estate. In the quarry, Sir Charles built a garden which attracts many thousands of visitors every year.;This account of the Castle - by his grandson, Sir Arthur - is illustrated with ink drawings, plans and photographs. Originally privately published in 1910 it is now made publicly available in a new edition with an historical introduction, a gazetteer of architectural terms and previously unpublished drawings by the 19th-century antiquarian, William Twopeny. Several watercolours from a recently discovered album belonging to Lady Mary Monck, Sir Charles' second wife are also reproduced here.