Light creasing to corners of spine and outer edges of front/back cover. Otherwise in near perfect condition.
The first part of the book charts the establishment in Drishane Castle, Millstreet, Co. Cork, in 1909, of a novitiate and a knitting school, followed in 1911 by the boarding school, and in 1914 by the school of housecraft. A house was opened in Ballyferriter, Co. Kerry, in the 1930s, and a knitting factory established there also. In 1958, the sisters opened a second school, Scoil Iosa, in Malahide, Co. Dublin.
The second part of the book documents the sisters' voyage to their overseas mission. In the early years, all their voyages were to South-East Asia, but they were eventually to extend their missionary activity to Australia, the Americas, and Africa. When the sisters arrived in Ireland in 1909, they could not have envisaged the changes that were to take place in the Church during the second half of the century.
The third part of the book captures some of the creative ways in which the sisters embraced the changes in the Church, and specifically in religious life, heralded by the Second Vatican Council. They responded to it with a renewed zeal, while seeking to remain true to the spirit of their founder, Nicolas Barré.