The Woolwich Story 1890-1965
E F E Jefferson
President Woolwich & District Antiquarian Society
The R A Printing Press Ltd, London; January 1970, reprinted June 1971, reprinted December 1975, reprinted May 1981.
Hardback; 150 x 225 mm; blue boards with titles in silver on spine; 430 pages plus unpaginated index; 36 illustrations within text; printed on good quality glossy paper. Original unclipped dust jacket.
The book is in very good, near fine, condition. The binding is sound. Some wear to the top of the dust jacket.
Woolwich is a district of south-east London, within the Royal Borough of Greenwich. It has been part of the London metropolitan area since the 19th century. In 1965 most of the former Metropolitan Borough of Woolwich became part of Greenwich Borough, of which it remains the administrative centre.
“In the year 1890 Mr W T Vincent published his ‘Records of Woolwich and District’…. The ‘Records’ ended with the year 1889, the year of the establishment of the London County Council, when Woolwich became part of the Administrative County of London; and it is the purpose of the present work to continue the story of our town up to that day in April, 1965, when the Metropolitan Borough of Woolwich was amalgamated with Greenwich to become a Greater London Borough.”