The Callander & Oban Railway company was formed in 1864 with the objective of linking Callander, Scotland to the west coast port of Oban over challenging terrain, particularly at Glen Ogle and the Pass of Brander at Loch Awe. Callander had been reached in 1858 by the Dunblane, Doune and Callander Railway (soon to be absorbed into Scottish Central Railways and then Caledonian Railway). Starting in 1866, the single track line passed Killin in 1870, reaching Tyndrum in 1873 and Dalmally in 1877. Following completion in 1880, Oban developed as a fashionable resort, though economically the railway was never really profitable. In 1923, the Railway became part of LMS.
This 1966 hardcover first edition was published by David & Charles, Newton Abbot, Devon, England. Its overall condition is reasonable, although the dustjacket is priceclipped, rubbed, grubby and creased. The spine is also sunned. The corners and the top and foot of the spine are bumped. The brown cloth boards are gilt stamped on the spine. This volume contains 200 pages of black and white photos and a colour frontispiece. The text block appears to be clean and unmarked.