Recognized as the first American to successfully make microscopes in the U.S., Charles Spencer published his first catalogue in 1838. In 1865, he founded the company C.A. Spencer & Sons in Canastota, New York, but moved the business to Geneva, New York in 1873 to manufacture microscopes for the Geneva Optical Co. These instruments were marked “C.A. Spencer & Sons for Geneva Optical Company.” Following the death of Charles Spencer in 1881, the business was carried on by his son Herbert, who moved the company to Buffalo, New York in 1890. From 1890 to 1895, the company was known as Spencer and Smith, but changed to the Spencer Lens Company in 1895. The Spencer Lens Company remained in Buffalo, New York. In 1935, the Spencer Lens Company was bought by American Optical but continued operation under its own name, after the acquisition, until 1945 when it became known as the Instrument Division of American Optical Company.
This wonderful example dated c1900 has all the attributes of a highly professional work tool with precision slide table having thumb wheel movement. The cast frame supports the viewing canister that has three lenses, X10, X44 and X95 all easily rotated into place with a lock mechanism. The back bone of the casting has the vertical and fine focus wheels and the front has a tilt and turn reflective mirror below the adjustable light lens. The Oak case is leather covered or it may be Rexine with two sturdy clips and a housing on the inner door to accept sample with four container and a spare lens. The unit slots into the box and is secured with velvet clad stops so the unit can not move around.
Included are a number of glass slide containing Graticules and Micro slides also a small box of glass discs. There is a note from the previous owner about oiling the slides so will be included.
Measures: Microscope 14" tall, Case 15" x 8" x 8"