This is a superb recording of the choruses and chorales from The St Matthew Passion, Johann Sebastian Bach's (1685-1750) musical interpretation of the Chapters 26 & 27 of the Gospel of St Matthew, from the Bible. Bach composed this 1727 work for two orchestra, and two groups of choral singers, as well as interspersing a number of solo singers, amidst the rest of the musicians and vocalists. As well as using words from the book of St Matthew, there are a number of quotations, originally written by the poet Picander ...
St Matthew Passion is often still cited as the greatest work, for chorus and orchestra that was ever composed, and if you want to see a visual treat, watch the 2006 performance at Amsterdam's Concertgebouw hall, conducted by Ivan Fischer and available on DVD. Meanwhile, this superb early 60s recording, was conducted by none other, than Otto Klemperer, himself, in addition to the legendary soprano, Elisabeth Schwarzkopf, who performs on this album.
Side One : Arias from The St Matthew Passion , by J S Bach :-
1) No.10 - Aria : Buss und Reu.
2) No.12 - Aria : Elute nur, du liebes Herz.
3) No.19 - Aria : Ich will dir mein Herze schenken.
4) a) No.33 - Duet : So ist mein Jesus nun gefangen ; b) Chorus : Sind Blitze, sind Donner.
Side Two : Arias (conclusion ...) :-
1) No.47 - Aria : Erbarme dich, mein Gott.
2) No.58 - Aria : Aus Liebe will mein Heiland sterben.
3) No.61 - Aria : Konnen Tranen meiner Wangen.
Records graded visually to RRPG grades (record/sleeve) EX-/EX-.