Best known for his brilliant interpretations of French works, and also his cycle of Beethoven symphonies with the Berlin Philharmonic, Andre Cluytens (1905-67) was originally a native of Antwerp in Belgium,where his father, Alphonse, was conductor of the Theatre Royal.
In 1927, he succeeded Alphonse, making his debut with Georges Bizet's much-vaunted "The Pearl-Fishers" opera. Then, in 1932, he conducted at the Toulouse Opera for three years, before moving on to, first Lyon, then Bordeaux. Around these years, he took French nationality.
After WWII, he was appointed to the Opera-Comique in Paris (1947-53), while succeeding Charles Munch as conductor of the Paris Conservatoire Orchestra ; Cluytens and Munch were the most respected French conductors of their era, and Cluytens recorded with such respected artists, as : the pianists, Solomon Cutner and Emil Gilels ; violinist, David Oistrakh ; and even the Soviet composer, Dmitri Shostakovich.
Disc One :-
Symphony in C major, by Bizet (rec.Oct 53 ; 29:27) :-
1) I Allegro viva 2) II Adagio 3) III Scherzo. Allegro vivace 4) IV Finale. Allegro vivace.
Images pour Orchestre, by Debussy (rec.Sep 63 ; 34:43) :-
5) No.1 Gigues ; [ No.2 Iberia : 7) I Par les rues et par les chemins 8) II Les parfums de la nuit 8) III Le matin d'un jour de fete ] ; 9) No.3 Rondes de printemps.
10) La Valse, by Ravel (rec.Nov 58 ; 11:54).
Disc Two :-
1) Manfred Overture Op.115, by Schumann (rec.Feb 57 ; 12:21).
Symphonie Fantastique Op.14, by Berlioz (rec. May 64 ; 48:48) :-
2) I Reveries - Passions 3) II Un bal 4) III Scene aux champs 5) IV Marche au supplice 6) V Sange d'une nuit du Sabbat.
7) Excerpt (Prelude to Act III) from Lohengrin, by Wagner (rec.Jun 59 ; 3:10).
Excerpts (Prologue, Scene III) from Boris Godunov: Coronation Scene, by Mussorgsky (rec.Sep 62 ; 11:02) :-
8) Solemn Procession 9) Boris "My soul is sorrowful" 10) People "Glory, Glory Glory!"
Disc One is in EX- condition.
Disc Two is in EX condition.