(featuring The Purcell Consort of Voices : counter tenor Grayston Burgess ; tenor Ian Partridge ; tenor John Buttrey ; baritone Geoffrey Shaw ; bass Christopher Keyte ; treble Paul Copcutt ; treble John Burniston. and The Musica Reservata : R David - violin & rebec ; D Webb - rebec ; A Skeaping - rebec ; D Dupre - lute & bass viol ; M Morrow - crumhorn ; B Wilson - harp ; J Beckett - harpsichord & recorder ; J Sothcott - recorder ; D Munrow - crumhorn, shawm & curtal ; A Lumsden - sackbut ; T Moore - sackbut.)
The early years of Henry VIII's reign were a time of ostentatious pageantry, ceremonial and courtly entertainments of all kinds : Royal entries ; tournaments ; funerals ; executions ; banquets ; coronations ; christenings, etc. were all ceremonial occasions in which music had a function. Some of the composers whose music was used on these occasions, included William Cornysh, Jacobus Barbireau, Jean Richefort, Heinrich Isaac, Antoine Busnois, William Daggere and Henry VIII himself!
Side One : Music of Henry VIII :-
1) Blow thy Horn, Hunter, by Cornysh 2) En Frolyk Weson, by Barbireau 3) Taunder Naken, by Henry VIII 4) Ah Robin, by Cornysh.
5) Three Dances, all by Anon : i) Bass Dance : Il me Suffit ii) Galliard : Rocha el Fuso iii) Pavane : Vegnano da Bologna.
6) Chanson : De mon Triste Desplaisir, by Richefort 7) Instrumental Fancy, by Anon 8) Adieu, mes amours, by Cornysh 9) La my, by Isaac 10) I am a Jolly Foster, by Anon.
Side Two : Henry VIII (conclusion) :-
1) Fortune Esperee, by Busnois.
2) Two Dances, both by Anon : i) La Morisque ii) Passo e Mezzo.
3) Where be ye, my Love?, by Anon 4) My Lady Carey's Dumpe, by Anon 5) Galliard : Il Buratto, by Anon 6) Downberry Down, by Daggerre 7) Henry VIII's Pavane, by Anon.
8) Two Dances, by Anon : i) Galliard : La Traditora ii) Allemande Prince.
9) Hey Trolly Lollo lo, by Anon 10) The Antyck, by Anon 11) Pastime with Good Company, by Henry VIII.
Records graded visually to RRPG grades
(record / sleeve / LyricSheet) EX-/VG+/EX.
Sixteenth century music on vinyl Sixteenth century music on record Tudor music on vinyl Tudor music on record