This store - it means the world to me.”
Scott Woolgar, Oxfam Brighton Shop, UK
Oxfam shops in the UK
High street updates
When will shops re-open?
- We will be reopening our retail stores in England from Wednesday 2 December 2020.
- From Friday evening on 20 November, 15 shops in Scottish local authorities moving to level 4 restrictions will be closed temporarily. Our other 26 shops across Scotland remain open
- Our shops in Wales remain open
While our high street shops are closed, the Oxfam Online Shop remains open.
Keeping our staff, volunteers and shoppers safe
When our shops reopen we will continue to work hard to ensure a safe shopping environment.
Social distancing for staff, volunteers and shoppers, will remain in place and we will be cleaning even more than usual, with hand sanitiser available in all shops.
Donated items will be isolated for 48 hours before appearing on the shop floor.
What to do with donations
We know many of you have lots of lovely donations for us, to help raise money for our important work. In England our shops will no longer be able to accept donations from Thursday 5 November 2020. However, our Oxfam donation banks will remain open and you can find your nearest one using our shop finder.
Wales and Scotland:
Wales will be accepting donations soon after they open from Monday 9 November 2020 and shops in Scotland will continue to accept donations.
Items will need to be stored for 48 hours before volunteers can process them, storage space may be limited so we have some tips for you to help your local team keep safe and make the most of your generous donations.
- Clean things. Wherever possible, put clothes and textiles through the washing machine and wipe down solid surfaces
- Have a think about what items we can sell. Ask yourself, “Would someone I know buy this?” If the answer is “Yes”, we’d love to receive it.
- Call ahead when you’re ready to donate, to check the best time for your local shop.
- Stagger your donations, rather than bringing everything at once. We appreciate not everyone has lots of storage space and we’d be delighted to help clear your clutter from your home whenever the time is right and remember to bring your donations in bags or boxes which you don’t want back.
- Remember to Gift Aid your donation, this scheme allows charities to claim 25% extra on the sale of your donations. With Oxfam’s Tag Your Bag scheme we will also let you know how much money your items have raised for our work which includes supporting people facing coronavirus around the world so don’t forget to Tag Your Bag!
Volunteer with us
Each shop typically relies on a team of 30 amazing volunteers, alongside one or two staff members, to be open for business.
The recent crisis has meant that some of our regular volunteers aren’t able to come to our stores for the moment. We need your help now more than ever.
If you’d like to join one of our volunteering teams, please register your interest online.
Our online shop remains open – stocked full of second-hand gems, ethical gifts from Sourced by Oxfam and Oxfam Unwrapped charity gift cards.
Keep updated with the latest information regarding our shops and Oxfam Online Shop.