Have fun with handwashing
Activity ideas for ages 5-9
- Good handwashing is more important than ever.
- Here are some fun and quick activities to help you learn about the why and how of washing your hands.
1. Move to the rhythm
- Use song, dance and rhymes to show the important steps for washing your hands.
- Perhaps you could make your own homemade video.
- Here's some inspiration from a few Oxfam staff members and volunteers!
2. How to wash your hands
- Here's a quick activity to help you learn more about how to wash your hands.
- First, ask an adult to help you sprinkle cocoa powder on your hands. Curry or turmeric powder could be used instead.
- Now have a go at washing off the powder using just water.
- Repeat, but this time try using soap as well.
Questions to think about:
- Was it easier to get rid of the cocoa powder when you used soap?
- How long did it take you to get rid of all the cocoa powder?
- Which parts of your hands (and wrists) took the longest to get clean?
- Do you always wash all of these parts?
Germs are a bit like cocoa powder. Although we can't see germs, we still need water, soap and time to get rid of them!
3. How long should we wash our hands for?
- How long does it take you to wash your hands?
- Try timing yourself or others in your household.
- The World Health Organisation (WHO) recommends washing your hands for as long as it takes to sing 'Happy Birthday' twice!
4. Can soap really kill a virus?
- This simple activity from Dr. Lucy Rogers helps demonstrate the power of soap against viruses.
- All you need is pepper, oil and water.
5. Design a handwashing device
- Check out this contactless handwashing station in Cox's Bazaar refugee camp in Bangladesh.
- People can use a foot pedal to get water and soap. This means that they don't need to touch a tap with their hands and so avoids spreading bacteria and viruses such as COVID-19.
- Maybe you could design your own handwashing device for use in your school or community.
6. Make your own rainbow soap
- Perhaps you could have a go at making your own soap.
- Here’s a link to a blog post with six easy steps to soap-making success.