Administration support volunteer
Oxfam is a global movement of millions of people who share the belief that, in a world rich in resources, poverty isn't inevitable. We respond fast in emergencies, work on long-term projects with communities and campaign for genuine, lasting change. Our volunteers, staff and those we aim to influence are all guided by our values of empowerment, accountability and inclusiveness.
With a network of over 500 shops, our diverse volunteers play an integral role in championing Oxfam’s value, running the shops and promoting our life saving work to the wider community.
Through the sales of donated goods and our ethical range of new products, Sourced by Oxfam, our shops raise millions of pound each year to fund our crucial work to end the injustice of poverty.
Oxfam shops are at the forefront in campaigning for sustainable fashion and we are proud that no item of clothing donated to us finds its way to the landfill. Since it opened in 1974, all donated clothing items that do not sell in our shops are brought into our Wastesaver warehouse, where they are sorted and sent to various retail channels such as festival shops, specialist boutiques or Oxfam’s Online Shop.
Why do we need you?
Our shops would not be able to raise crucial funds for Oxfam’s emergency and development work all over the world without our dedicated volunteers, who provide their time and bring multitude of skills. In return, we offer personal development, valuable insight into charity retail and a friendly environment to meet new people.
You can watch our volunteering video here.
What are your key responsibilities?
As an Administration Support Volunteer, you will be assisting the shop manager in carrying out day-to-day admin work. Depending on the needs of the shop and your interests, you may be involved in:
- Helping to create weekly volunteer rotas.
- Taking minutes during shop meetings.
- Ensuring all volunteer paperwork is up to date.
- Assisting with Gift Aid donations.
- Ensuring all important communications in the shop bulletin is displayed on the noticeboard.
What skills and experience are we looking for?
You do not need specific skills and experience but the following will be useful:
- Commitment to Oxfam’s values of empowerment, accountability and inclusiveness.
- Ability to work within Oxfam’s policies and shop guidelines.
- Ability to deal in a tactful and professional manner with confidential information and sensitive situations.
- Ability to work well as part of a team and under own initiative.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Good organisational skills and attention to detail.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Word and Excel and the willingness to learn.
What will you gain from this opportunity?
- You will be joining thousands of volunteers who “won’t live with poverty”.
- Learn about Oxfam’s humanitarian, development and campaigning work.
- Opportunity to utilise and develop your administrative skills.
- Opportunity to gain nationally recognised NVQ qualifications in customer service, warehousing, retail and management.
- Lunch and travel expenses can be reimbursed in line with Oxfam’s policy and references can be provided to future employers.
Young people and this role
We are proud of having a diverse volunteer base made up of people from different backgrounds and ages. The minimum age for this role if 14 years old. A risk assessment, parental consent and safeguarding considerations will be required for those aged 14 - 17. You can find out more information about safeguarding policies on our website.
We will provide you with ongoing support and training throughout your volunteering:
- Full induction
- Health and Safety
- Data protection and compliance
Shop till areas have protective screens. All shop teams are provided with PPE masks and gloves, hand sanitising stations are on shop floor and in back areas of the shop. Social distancing markers are visible on the shop floor.
Once you submit your application and suitable references are gathered, you will meet with the shop manager for an informal interview.
You will then receive a full induction and all the essential training and learning and begin your volunteering journey with Oxfam.
Thank you very much for your interesting in volunteering with us. We look forward to having you in our team.
Complete our Online Application Form.
The shop manager will contact you as soon as possible and will arrange a convenient time for you to visit the shop and have a chat about volunteering.
As soon as you have had an initial chat with the shop manager and after receipt of suitable references, you can arrange a start date.