Music Shop Volunteer
Oxfam Shops receive wonderful donations of CDs, DVDs and vinyl. Our teams of music volunteers aim to sell as much as they can so that we can continue to support Oxfam's work. The volunteers bring a wealth of knowledge and enthusiasm to the section, between them covering the wide range of music genres.
The enjoyment and challenge of this work comes from the fact that you never know what you will find next. We sell everything from basic CDs to collectible vinyl. Our teams develop the skills to know how to make the most money possible from our donors' generosity.
Many of our shops also sell through our online shop and therefore may have vacancies for volunteers keen to develop this area of work.
Depending on the needs of the shop and your interest, you may be involved in the following:
- Sort incoming donations of CDs and/or vinyl, identifying items which are likely to sell and any that have a potential high value
- Help to research the value of rare and/or collectible items
- Use shop guidelines to price the items
- Arrange the items in the shop, perhaps as part of an attractive window display or by creating special promotions
- Review the stock regularly to provide a fresh selection for our customers
- Depending on your interests and the shop's needs, there may be the opportunity to take responsibility for a specific type of music
We encourage our shop volunteers to develop an understanding of all aspects of the shop's work so that they can support the whole team as necessary.
Skills and competencies
You do not need specific skills or experience, but the following will be useful:
- Commitment to Oxfam's values of empowerment, accountability and inclusiveness
- Ability to work within Oxfam's policies and shop guidelines
- Be interested in a variety of forms of music and be keen to learn about new types
- Ability to work well as part of a team and under own initiative
What this role can offer the volunteer
- You will be joining thousands of volunteers who "won't live with poverty"
- Learn about Oxfam's humanitarian, development and campaigning work
- Opportunity to utilise and develop your portfolio of skills and experience
- Deepen your knowledge about music
- Gain valuable experience in retail at an international charity
- Lunch and local travel expenses can be reimbursed in line with Oxfam's policy
Find your local shop here. This will give you contact details for the shop so you can phone or visit to find out more.
Complete the Online Application Form
The shop manager will contact you as soon as possible and will arrange a convenient time for you to visit the shop and have a chat about volunteering.
As soon as you have had an initial chat with the shop manager and after receipt of suitable references, you can arrange a start date.